Google
 

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Face-To-Face vs. Electronic Communication

Louise writes:

As a fairly new convert I am still not sure of all the benefits and pitfalls of blogging. I am also always weary of mediums that encourage electronic communication as a replacement for face-to-face communication. So it was with great interest that I came across an article by Rodney Gray, who I believe to be a world authority on effective communication.

Gray says, “Internal communication is about influencing employees’ behaviour. Your ability to do this depends on the quality of relationships at all levels and throughout the organisation. Obviously, employees are far more likely to change their behaviour as a result of discussions with someone they trust who listens to their concerns, than as a result of reading something on screen.”

http://www.employee-communication.com.au/templates/page.jsp?id=121

Louise Barnes

Louise Barnes Communications - Strategic Communication to Enable Successful Change

louise.barnes@lbc.co.za - Tel: +27 11 482 4354 - M: +27 73 234 4507

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Nikki Viljoen said...

I absolutely agree with you Louise. It is far better to have a one on one or face to face discussion. However, having said that, it is impossible for us to have one on one or face to face discussions with everyone that we would like to - there just aren't enough hours in the day. In these instances, is it not better to communicate in some alternative fashion?

As you probably know, I am doing a feature of articles on Networking on my Business Reality Bites Blog (http:/businessrealitybites.blogspot.com) at the moment - how many more people do you think I reach than just on a face to face or one on one type scenario?

Then there is my "Practical guide to Starting a Business" workshop that I am posting on my personal blog (http:/whenrealitybites.blogspot.com). How many more people am I reaching with information that is relevant to them, than just by meeting face to face and one on one?

Judging by the responses that I get from all over the world, I am doing pretty well!

So for me it is not an option and I will continue to "keep on blogging"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home